WHAT IS ASTHMA?
Asthma is a chronic,inflammatory lung disease characterized by recurrent breathing problems.These are caused by an over sensitivity of the lungs and airways, which overreact to certain triggers and become inflamed and clogged.
-sporadic attacks of shortness of breath,
tight feeling over chest.
In homeopathic terms,asthma is caused by an imbalance in the body’s function.By using the vegatest,we can often detect the very subtle energy changes which results in symptomss,as well as locating which parts of tehe body are affected.
treatment will consist of combinations of the following:
-remedies to treat any organ malfunction,-the avoidance of specific foods which trigger asthmatics symptoms,
-asthma can be caused/aggravated by external stimuli(eg.smoke,perfume,pollen etc..),and again when these are identified the patient is asked to try to stay away from these,
N.B.Acute asthma sufferers are generally already on orthodox medication,and this is always taken into account.
N.B.Acute asthma sufferers are generally already on orthodox medication,and this is always taken into account.
IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME
The Oxford Textbook of Medicine defines I.B.S. as a “chronic relapsing complaint characterised by disturbance of defecation and associated with central or lower abdominal discomfort or pain and absence of organic disease of the bowel”
– abdominal pain,
– symptoms come and go,
– frequent passage of small amounts of stools,
– periods of constipation,
– passage of mucous in stools;
– made worse with stress
1. Malfunction of the digestive tract and associated organs,
2. Exposure to toxins,eg.alcohol,drugs(like painkillers),postviral syndrome etc.,
3. Allergies where the linings of the digestive tract react strongly to certain food
Using the vegatest, we are able to analyse how the body is functionng inside and out:we are often to localise,which organs are at the root of the problem,and also specify what allergies may be involved depending on each case.The treatment for each case is different and usually involves natural remedies and allergen avoidance.
Is inflammation of the urinary bladder, which generally involves an infection of the water tract more commonly in women.
Predisposing factors include: when run down due to illness,structural defects in the tract,neurological disorders,poor hygiene,medical examinations,imbalance in the acidity of the urine,viral or fungal infection.
-dysuria(pain passing water) ,
-passing blood in the water;
-foul smelling urine,
-lower abdominal pain.
WHAT CAN BE DONE?
Most common treatment is antibiotics,which can be effective.But many do not respond long term,and this is where homeopathy can be useful.
HOMEOPATHY AND CYSTITIS.
Cystitis is often caused by an imbalance in the acidity of the urine,which in turn is an indication that the body is out of kilter.In these cases we use the Vegatest to find out why this is happening,and treat the underlying cause rather than the infection itself:once the body recovers its natural acid/base balance,then the offending bacteria,funguses,viruses will no longer have a breathing ground for repetitive infections.
We use homeopathic remedies,diet and lifestyle recommendations to treat cystitis
– Pain in the central chest area,possibly radiating just below the ribs,
– acid regurgitation up into the throat and /or mouth,
– abdominal discomfort;
– food allergies,
– over acidity in the body,
– bacterial infections,
– overuse of painkillers etc. ,
– psychological stress,
– poor gall bladder and/or pancreas function.
Conventional treatment involves the use of antacids,which generally only work for short periods of time because the underlying cause has not been tackled.
Using the Vegatest,we can usually find out why the patient has got indigestion,and then treat it with various combinationsof the following;
– avoiding food which disagree
– correcting the imbalance of the acidity in the gut,by using remedies to promote the re-growth of the populations of the right types of bacteria(these are the good ones which help us digest our food)
– suggesting life style changes:diet,exercise,counselling;
– homeopathic treatment for gall bladder and pancreas malfunction.
WHAT ARE MIGRAINES?
The most common symptoms of migraines are recurrent,one sided,throbbing headaches.They are caused by the rapid widening and narrowing of blood vessel walls in the brain.The most common precipitants are:hunger,cheese,changes in weather,nuts,fatigue,avocados,oral contraceptives,menstrual periods,food cured with nitrates(e.g.hot dogs)emotional stress,MSG,alcohol.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF MIGRAINE
CLASSICAL MIGRAINE :
– there is usually a warning(aura)
– eyesight changes:bright spots etc. ,
– double vision,partial blindness,
-tingling of the lips,face,hands,limb weakness,dizziness,drowsiness,slurred speach,
– symptoms last a few minutes or longer and disappear as a throbbing,one sided headache with possible nausea,vomiting and light sensitivity/noise.
– sudden throbbing headache,
– location of headache varies,
– nausea,vomiting and light/noise sensitivity,possible abdominal pain,which improves after vomiting.
– people have temporary paralysis on 1 side of the body,and possibly vertigo.
– pain around the eye,
– droopy eyelid and double vision.
– involves a disturbance of a major brain artery,
– pre-headache symptoms include vertigo,double vision,and poor coordination,
this occurs mainly in adolescents and young adult women and associated with the menstrual cycle.
BENIGN EXERTIONAL HEADACHE:
– brought on by running,lifting,coughing etc,
– these do not usually last more than a few minutes
– rare type of migraine that can last more than 72 hours or longer
– extreme pain and nausea,
need for hospitalisation;
often triggered by use of certain drugs(eg.antidepressives)
HEADACHE – FREE MIGRAINE:
– visual symptoms,nausea,constipation or diarrhoea,
– no head pain
HOMEOPATHY AND MIGRAINE
As homeopaths we look for the underlying cause/s of the symptoms using the vegatest.There is usually a varying combination of hormonal imbalances,organ malfunction,allergy/sensitivity problems,lifestyle issues and psychological factors at the root cause.Each patient is assessed on an individual basis and a specific regime set up.
N.B.Some migraInes are related to neck problems,which we would treat with chiropractic.
Is the acute seasonal form of allergic rhinitis (where the lining of the upper respiratory tract becomes inflamed):
1. SPRING TYPE: due to tree pollen,
2. SUMMER TYPE: due tree pollen,
3. FALL TYPE: caused by weed pollens’
Occasionally seasonal hay fever is due primarily to airborne fungus spores.
– the nose,and roof of the mouth,pharynx,and eyes begin to itch.
– tears,sneezing,and clear watery discharge soon follow,
– frontal headaches,irritability,lack of appetite,depression,and insomnia can also develop.
WHAT IS AN ALLERGY?
this is where the body over- reacts to contact with a substance; it treats the substance like a foreign body and tries to get rid of it.The reaction is one of mobilising the body’s defences,which is an acute inflammatory process.
HAY FEVER AND HOMEOPATHY.
The first we try to find out is why the body over reacts to pollens,and secondly which pollen/s is/are involved.
most treatments involve desensitising the patient to specific pollens using homeopathic remedies,and sometimes systemic treatment to treat underlying organic malfunctions.
WHAT IS SINUSITIS ?
Sinusitis is the inflammation of the mucous membranes in the sinuses(cavities in the bones next to the nose).it is thought to be caused by infection,allergies and irritation from toxic substances in the air.
– acute:pain in a specific area, sudden start,discoloured drainage on 1 side:
– chronic:congestion on both sides of the nose,frequent and severe headaches,and pressure in the head.
HOMEOPATHY AND SINUSITIS.
We use a computerised system to examine the internal workings of the body to determine where and what the problem is.The principal causes and therapeutic approaches are as follows:
1. ORGAN IMBALANCES:particular where immune response is affected:here homeopathic remedies would be prescribed to treat the affected organs.
2. SIMPLE ALLERGY:in these cases patients are told what they are sensitive to,what to avoid and possibly given treatment to desensitise.
3. A PREDISPOSITION due to abnormally narrow nasal passages,which may require referral for surgery.
4. An INFECTION: either bacterial or viral.This can often be helped with homeopathic treatment.
NB. patient lifestyles are analysed,advice is given about diet and exercise,and the possibility of environmental hazards.
Is a common syndrome in a large percentage of women of childbearing age.
– episodes of depression,
– swelling of breasts,
– abdominal distension
– orthodox treatment is aimed to relieving symptoms and usually involves some of the following: reassurance,diuretics,vitamin B6,progesterone,and Bromocriptine.
With the Vegatest we examine the whole body to determine wheather the symptoms are part of a normal process or the result of the body malfunctioning.
therefore treating PMT can be quite complex,and using subtle diagnostic data from the Vegatest, we can formalise a very individual therapy involving remedies to treat organ malfunction.
The patient’s existing prescribed treatments are always taken into account,and the homeopathic formulas adapted to this.
Diet and exercise are also important,and patients are actively encouraged to partake in fitness regimes.
Is an infection usually caused by a fungus called Candida Albicans,which can be found most commonly in the mouth,vagina walls,and lower passage.as long as the body is in balance candida remains under control.It is more common in women.
– inflammation and itching of external genitalia and vagina,
– non – smelling vaginal discharge,
– painful urination,possible with increased frequency,
– possible white patches over vagina,
white patches in mouth.
– late stages of pregnancy,
– diabetes,- following courses of antibiotics,corticosteroids,or oral contraceptives,
– wearing nylon tights
– poor nutrition,
depressive mental stage,and any disorder where the person is “run down”.
The common orthodox treatment is to prescribe fungicidal drugs such as Nyastatin.
Our approach is as follows: we use the Vegatest computer to find out what has caused the body to allow candida to invade the body and we then use specific homeopathic remedies to restore functional balance.Once the body functions at its optimum,its immune system will control the candida infestation naturally
Starts in most women between the age of 45 & 55,and consists in a gradual reduction in the hormones which governs the reproductive cycle.
– menses,become irregular,and gradually cease,
– possible excessive vaginal bleeding;
– hot flushes
– breasts atrophy,
– osteoporosis due to low levels of oestrogen,
– irritability,insomnia,headache,loss of concentration,
– loss of libido
Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) can be effective in relieving symptoms,decreasing risks of osteoporosis,thinning of the walls of the vagina and bladder,and bowel cancer.
The downsides are increased risk of breast cancer,venous thrombosis,high blood pressure,and fluid retention,women with fibroids may suffer from increased bleeding.
The alternatives :
The menopause is a natural process,and the principal of homeopathic treatment is to help women function on their optimum.We analyse each patient using the vegatest computer to find out if there is/are functional abnormalities.extreme symptoms are a sign that the body is not working normally and this can often be remedied by using the correct combination of homeopathic remedies.a thorough treatment schedule is worked out taken into account any existing orthodox prescriptions.
WHAT ELSE CAN BE DONE:
– Wear several layers of thin clothing from natural fibres,
– take warm showers instead of baths,
– get regular exercise,
– diet: to achieve high levels of calcium and vitamins,cut down sugar and fat,eat more oily fish,fibre and starchy foods,vegetables and fruit,
cut down on caffeine,alcohol and cigarettes,
– foods rich in naturally occuring oestrogens can help(soya beans,linseed oil,alfalfa,fennel and other green and yellow vegetables.
AN ALLERGY is a disorder of the immune system ( a system of biological structures and processes within an organism that protects against disease). Allergic reactions occur to normally harmless environmental substances known as allergens; these reactions are acquired, predictable, and rapid.
Strictly, allergy is one of four forms of hypersensitivity and is called type I (or immediate) hypersensitivity. It is characterized by excessive activation of certain white blood cells called mast cells and basophils by a type of antibody known as IgE, resulting in an extreme inflammatory response. Common allergic reactions include eczema, hives, hay fever, asthma attacks, food allergies, and reactions to the venom of stinging insects such as wasps and bees.
Mild allergies like hay fever are highly prevalent in the human population and cause symptoms such as allergic conjunctivitis, itchiness, and runny nose. Allergies can play a major role in conditions such as asthma.
SIGND AND SYMPTOMS
Many allergens such as dust or pollen are airborne particles. In these cases, symptoms arise in areas in contact with air, such as eyes, nose and lungs. For instance, allergic rhinitis, also known as hay fever, causes irritation of the nose, sneezing, and itching and redness of the eyes. Inhaled allergens can also lead to asthmatic symptoms, caused by narrowing of the airways (bronchoconstriction) and increased production of mucus in the lungs, shortness of breath (dyspnea), coughing and wheezing.
Aside from these ambient allergens, allergic reactions can result from foods, insect stings, and reactions to medications like aspir rin and antibiotics such as penicillin. Symptoms of food allergy include abdominal pain, bloating, vomiting, diarrhoea, itchy skin, and swelling of the skin during hives. Food allergies rarely cause rhinitis. Insect stings, antibiotics, and certain medicines produce a systemic allergic response that is also called anaphylaxis; multiple organ systems can be affected, including the digestive system, the respiratory system, and the circulatory system. Depending of the rate of severity, it can cause cutaneous reactions, bronchoconstriction, oedema, hypotension, coma, and even death. This type of reaction can be triggered suddenly, or the onset can be delayed.
Substances that come into contact with the skin, such as latex, are also common causes of allergic reactions, known as contact dermatitis or eczema. Skin allergies frequently cause rashes, or swelling and inflammation within the skin, in what is known as a “wheal and flare” reaction characteristic of hives and angio-edema.
The European Academy of Allergology and Clinical Immunology set out the following classification:
– ATOPIC ECZEMA: hereditary, often accompanied by asthma. itchy rash usually on head, neck, inside elbows, behind knees and buttocks.
– CONTACT DERMATITIS: allergic from contact with poison or allergen, and irritant (eg. contact with a chemical)
– XEROTIC ECZEMA: dry skin which turns to eczema. Worse in dry winter weather, and limbs and trunk are most affected. More common in older people.
– SEBORRHOEIC DERMATITIS: a little like dandruff, dry or greasy peeling of the scalp, eyebrows, face and trunk.
– DYSHYDROSIS: only on palms, soles and sides of fingers and toes, worse in warm weather.
– DISCOID ECZEMA: round spots of oozing or dry rash often on lower legs. Worse in winter.
– VENOUS ECZEMA: in areas of poor blood circulation, varicose veins etc.
– NEURODERMATITIS: itchy area of thickened, pigmented patch of eczema resulting from repetitive scratching.
Orthodox medical diagnosis of eczema is generally rather vague, and invariably patients are given Corticosteroids to treat the symptom. There are, of course, 2 major problems; firstly the treatment is aimed at the symptom and not the cause, and secondly, the treatment has well known side effects.
Eczema is usually caused by a reaction within the body to some form of poison, and the skin is used as an excretory organ: this is why the skin reacts so strongly. The homeopath looks into the subtle ways the body/mind works and can often find the underlying cause of the disease. The treatment generally involves a combination of homeopathic remedies to flush out inherrant toxins, dietary advice and the avoidance of specific allergens.
Many of our patients complain about emotional problems such as insomnia, panic attacks, depression, anxiety, bedwetting and hyper-activity.With homeopathy we realise that there is probably an underlying functional imbalance in the body which causes the individual to over-react emotionally to certain situations. Although these can be quite difficult conditions to treat, we are pleased to say that we have had many successes. As in any other situation, we analyse the individual, look for the underlying functional disorder, and treat accordingly.